HOW TO USE PEER-TO-PEER MOBILE PAYMENT APPS
Send and receive money using Venmo®, PayPal® and Cash App®.
Peer-to-peer (P2P) mobile payment apps make it easy and convenient to make cashless electronic money transfers between you and someone else using your mobile device.
At Desert Financial, a member can transfer funds to another member using the Transfers feature in our mobile banking app (and in Online Banking). If you’d like to send and receive money to someone who is not a Desert Financial member, there are peer-to-peer mobile payment app options including: Venmo, PayPal and Cash App. Depending on which app you use, you can transfer money with your Desert Financial debit card, credit card and/or bank account.
You may want to bookmark this page as a reference while navigating how to use these apps.
Safety to Remember
- Be sure you are sending your money to the correct person.
- Be certain the transaction you are sending is correct. Once sent, you are not guaranteed the funds back.
Using the Venmo Mobile App
Open the Venmo app, select Personal tap Sign Up to create an account and follow the instructions as indicated by the app that will include linking your debit/credit card or bank account.
Tap Pay or Request.
Select or add the recipient or sender using their name, @username, phone or email.
Tap Pay or Request, add the amount and tap Request or Pay.
- Use the personal QR code feature to send money easily and quickly.
- Standard bank transfers with a linked bank account typically take 1–3 business days with no fee.
- Instant transfers to a bank account or Visa® debit card require a fee charged by Venmo.
Using the PayPal Mobile App
Open the PayPal app, tap Sign Up to create an account and follow the instructions as indicated by the app that will include linking your debit/credit card or bank account.
Tap Send or Request.
Enter the recipient or sender’s email or mobile number.
Enter the amount (tap Next); select Friends and Family (tap Next); choose a payment method (tap Next) — then tap Send. Or, enter the amount (tap Next) — then tap Request Now.
- A fee is charged by PayPal for sending personal payments using a debit/credit card and for depositing funds from PayPal into your bank account using a debit card.
- A fee is charged by PayPal for instant withdrawals from PayPal to a bank account or card.
- There is no fee charged for standard transfers to a bank account. Transferring funds from PayPal to a bank account typically takes 1–3 business days to process.
Using the Cash App Mobile App
Open the Cash App mobile app, enter your phone number or email to create a new account and follow the instructions as indicated by the app that will include linking your debit/credit card or bank account.
Enter the amount to request or pay.
Enter the sender or recipient’s name, phone, email or $Cashtag®. (What is a $Cashtag?)
Tap Request or Pay.
- Use the QR code feature to send money easily and quickly.
- There are no fees to send or receive money. Deposits to your bank account are free and take 1–3 business days to process.
- Instant deposits to your debit card are subject to a fee charged by Cash App.
Pay Anyone, a P2P program currently offered by Desert Financial, is available to established members. To learn more, visit your local branch or contact the Member Experience Center at (602) 433-7000.
Desert Financial Credit Union is not affiliated with Venmo, Paypal or Cash App. All trademarks are property of their respective owner(s). Venmo and Paypal are registered trademarks of PayPal, Inc. Cash App and Cash Tag are registered trademarks of Square, Inc. Desert Financial makes no warranties or representations about the goods or services offered and accepts no liability for the use of such products or services.